The park and the lake
At the lake, the Oslo fjord shoreline is reconstructed as it appeared in the Middle Ages (about the year 1300). It also marks Alnaelvens (river) original outlet. In connection with the construction of a new railway, the river will again be led into its original race (probably around 2021).
The National Heritage board has suggested that the water be expanded northwards to also include the northern part of the Middelage Park
Kongsgården (The Royal estate)
Unfortunately, due to construction work close by we were unable to photograph all of the ruins.
The oldest part of the ruins is barricading walls date to the year 1040-1060 and one or more wooden buildings. The estate was located close to St. Mary`s Church and later expanded into a castle-like structure with towers. The first Royal estate was built in wood which burned down in 1223. The rebuild was made of stone and bricks.
The location of the estate played a significant role when King Haakon V decided to gradually move the capital of Norway from Bergen to Oslo. The King’s residence was a citadel, dwelling and meeting place for the King and his men when they whore in Oslo
The estate eventually lost its status and role as a regional administrative centre of Akershus Fortress and became the canon`s residence from the 1300s up until the 1500s
The history of Oslo begins in the Middle Ages; the first town-like settlement probably appeared around the year 1,000 AD. The medieval town was located below the Ekeberg hills, on the east side of the Bjørvika inlet, in the area today called Gamlebyen (Old Town).
The park was built in 2000 in Sørenga, Gamlebyen (The Old Town). It is located within the Medieval Park area, which also includes the Memorial Park and Ladegården on the north side of Bispegata. In this area, development is not allowed due to the ruins and plenty of cultural remains in the underground.
St. Mary`s Church ( From the early 1100s to 1542):
Excavations were first conducted in 1867 and later in the 1960s
St Mary`s was one of the most beautiful churches in Norway in 1300. Located immediately adjacent to the King`s Residence, St. Mary`s was a royal chapel.
Remains of two people, deemed to be King Haakon V (died 1319) and his Queen consort Euphemia of Rügen, were discovered during excavations of the ruins of the church and re-interred in the Royal Mausoleum in Akershus Castle
Traces of an older wooden structure (a stave church) built in about 1050, were discovered. Logs are placed in the ruins to mark the traces. The stave church was replaced by a stone church in about 1100.
About 1300s under the rule of Haakon V, the church was rebuilt in brick. There was a fire in the church in 1523, and by 1542 it was so dilapidated that it could no longer be repaired
A reconstruction suggestion on how St. Marys looked like (the year 1300) based on the excavations: