Akershus Castle: Construction of the castle was finished around 1300, it functioned as the official Norwegian royal residence for several decades. In 1592 this medieval castle and royal residence developed into a fortress.
Following the great fire of 1624, the castle was modernized and remodeled, with the new appearance being that of a renaissance castle. The castle primarily functioned as a palace until the turn of the 19th century.
After the German occupation from 1940 to 1945 was over, much was destroyed and had to be built from scratch in our country. In a stripped and worn Akershus Castle – with loans of equipment from many museums and galleries – the castle was for the first time in more than a hundred years used as the center of the national celebration of King Haakon VII’s 75th birthday on the 3rd of August 1947.
Akershus Castle today contains banquet halls, the Royal Mausoleum, and the government’s reception rooms, and its small, historic church is the home of the royal sarcophagi
Astrup Fearnley museum: The museum to the left
The roof of the Astrup Fearnley museum in the middle of the picture
Tjuvholmen is located on a peninsula sticking out from Aker Brygge into the Oslofjord. The name Tjuvholmen (thief (tjuv) and islet (holm) did not come about by chance. In the 1600s, islets were often used as execution sites for hanging thieves and other criminals. It is believed that Tjuvholmen served such a purpose.
The City of Oslo bought Tjuvholmen in 1914 and transformed it to the Port of Oslo, after wich work began on infilling and constructions of the quays. Piers and sheds were erected, including one to house the city`s street waste. The transformation of Tjuvholmen to what it is today began in 2005.
Tjuvholmen consist of three sections that are divided by canals
Life below sea level has not been forgotten: hundreds of concrete elements make up an artificial reef, which has become a popular place for scuba diving.
The view towards Akershus Festning
A long walk for tiny feet. The two towers of Oslo City Hall in the background. Aker Brygge is a leader in Norway for waterfront development and it is one of the most visited places in Oslo with 12 million visitors each year
The anchor from the German cruiser Blücher, which attacked Norway on 9 April 1940 before being sunk at Drøbak Sound
Aker Brygge is known for its strip of restaurants along the boardwalk, but for around 200 years ago (then called Holmen) it looked totally different, with only a few industrial buildings and some houses.
From 1854 to 1982 Aker Brygge was home to Akers Mekaniske Verksted, a leading company in the Norwegian Shipbuilding and offshore industries. One of the most dramatic events during WWII began with a milk strike at Akers Mekaniske Verksted. The food supplies had worsened more and more during the war, and when milk was no longer delivered to the workplace from Monday the 8th of September 1941, workers began a strike. Tuesday the 9th more than 25 000 workers refused to work. On 10 September, union leaders Rolf Wickstrøm and Viggo Hansteen were executed by the Germans. They were the first Norwegians to be sentenced to death during the occupation on political grounds.
In 1967, Akers Mekaniske Verksted built the Ocean Viking drilling Platform, this is where the Norwegian oil boom began. Ocean Viking undertook the first test drilling operations on the Norwegian Shelf.
Norway`s shipping industry was badly affected by the international shipping crisis that began in the seventies. Akers Mekaniske Verksted was closed in 1982 and the quay was transformed into Aker Brygge. The architecture at Aker Brygge is distinctive, with its combination of old, venerable shipyard buildings and modern architecture
Aker Brygge is teeming with activity round the clock, and it doesn’t cost you anything to wander along the quay and enjoy the fresh sea air.