Tjuvholmen is located on a peninsula sticking out from Aker Brygge into the Oslofjord. The name Tjuvholmen (thief (tjuv) and islet (holm) did not come about by chance. In the 1600s, islets were often used as execution sites for hanging thieves and other criminals. It is believed that Tjuvholmen served such a purpose.
The City of Oslo bought Tjuvholmen in 1914 and transformed it to the Port of Oslo, after wich work began on infilling and constructions of the quays. Piers and sheds were erected, including one to house the city`s street waste. The transformation of Tjuvholmen to what it is today began in 2005.
Tjuvholmen consist of three sections that are divided by canals
Life below sea level has not been forgotten: hundreds of concrete elements make up an artificial reef, which has become a popular place for scuba diving.