Gamle Aker Kirke (Old Aker Church) is believed to have been erected by King Olav Kyrre in 1080. It was built of limestone by the model of Hallvarskatedralen (Hallvars Cathedral) – Oslo’s first cathedral. The stones were mined where Vår Frelsers Gravlund (cemetery) is today. Fossils of octopuses can be seen in some of the stones. The church was built over the former site of the Akersberg silver mines, which was in use since the early Viking era. The existence of these former mines must have been the inspiration for a number of stories about the church having hidden silver treasures and even dungeons with dragons.
In the middle ages a road passed close by, it was a well-known pilgrim road to Nidaros (Trondheim). The same road connected the church to Akershus fortress and castle.
Several fires and plunderings have led to the loss of original inventory. The church has amongst other a baroque pulpit.
Ant King and Heffanutt test-driving near Gamle Aker Kirke